The last two days have been on the muggy side so I decided to split the "Third Time's The Charm" loop. Three miles is still a good run especially in the hottest part of the day. Yesterday I was also a bit pressed to get ready for the Preakness. I nice run is key before a bit of cocktailing. I love to primp on Saturdays as it's the only day that I have time. I decided to wear a new little sundress.
The plan was to meet up with our friends, John and Muffie. Luckily, we talked our way out of $75 parking fee at the event's parking lot. Pimlico Race Course is in southwest Baltimore. Within a few miles, we were bombarded with the community solicitors; they were selling everything from water bottle and BBQ to their driveways. Peter hesitated to pull up into these neighborhoods and looked elsewhere. Finally, we decided to that the $75 fee may be a small price to be safe and close to the race. A police officer peered into our car and asked us, "Hey you two. Where you from? What's your favorite college?" I replied, "Annapolis and UMBC." I figured this was the most obvious answer. It worked! He waved us in. That definitely was a great kickoff to the day. We walked to the ticket counter to find out that we had a another walk to the infield ticket window.
A mass exodus of people released from the infield and I suspected this wasn't a good sign. I accidentally shoulder checked some lady that paid no mind to where she was walking. There were neighborhood children pushing "customers" back and forth to the infield. As we neared the gate, I saw someone I recognized. I couldn't believe it. In thousands of people, I manage to run into my friend's current crush (who I've only seen in pictures.) He has an uncanny signature look (huge puffy hair sticking out from a visor.) Easy to spot right? I quickly text Linds. She was weirded out. Small, small world...
Moreover, there was good people watching so we didn't mind the trip back to the first window as the infield was closed. We snapped pictures as we trekked. The more dressed down kids wore casual tees and sundresses. Some girls had bikini tops and cutoff shorts on which was pretty daring considering it was only in the high '70s. But hey, it's a festival and there's Jager tents. Many people wore the formal Kentucky Derby attire: ridiculously big brim hats, Polos, fancy suits with ascots, and poplin pants. The Jockey Club, Grandstand and Corporate Village were full of this "Gatsby" era look. It was definitely more about the fashion statement for many. Others raced to the betting windows and poured over their programs. The two favored were the Kentucky winners: Lucky and Super Saver. Peter bet on #24 First Dude (his lucky bday numbers.) We watched the Preakness race and darted to the parking lot to beat the mass chaos. Later, we met our friends at P.F. Chang's in Columbia. It was eventful and I am thankful that we kept it short at the race judging from friends' pics from the infield.
No comments:
Post a Comment