Sunday, October 3, 2010

Visit to NYC Re-Invigorated My Spirits

Our GB trip to the Empire State re-invigorated my spirits. Surely this 26.2 mile race will feel like a standing ovation at a Broadway musical. The buzz of the crowd, pounding Manhattan pavement and crushing gatorade cups at each station should fuel my big race day. I have so much nervous excitement about this challenge. This is my first full marathon and I haven't run competitively in years. Unfortunately, my body doesn't seem to "whip" back into shape as it did in the early-twenties. Pretending that it would was my biggest mistake. This has definitely become quite the learning experience, both physically and mentally.
My 12 mile run today at 2:05 hours felt great but is not nearly on par with the long mileage for the week. I should be hitting 18-20 miles and scaling back in another week. One thing that I've taken great pride in has been alternating cardio activities to avoid injury. I've paired bike and elliptical days with arms and abs. I have not missed one workout in the last three weeks. There has been some sort of gym or outside activity regimen. Scaling back on alcohol and caffeine have been other secrets to my preparation success. In another week, that will almost disappear from my social activities even amongst football, happy hour, Halloween, and birthday party get-togethers. I stopped drinking coffee this past summer and switched to green tea. Many days I've been able to avoid caffeine all together despite the 6:15 a.m. start at the school. I am looking forward to completing this challenge.
I really just want to finish. Finishing under 4-4:30 hours would be amazing. I don't know what to expect with the crowd, weather or hills. I've heard the NYC marathon isn't the best first time marathon but hey, I guess I am going for a real kick in the a** on this one. Turning 30 will be less daunting if I can get this under my belt. I'm running against the 25-29 year old group and hopefully, I'll be able to compete. My focus is to stay positive and repeat positive phrases during both practice and the race but mostly, I can't wait till this is over!

No comments:

Post a Comment